Top things to do in Townsville
Custodians of the Great Barrier Reef, home to the who’s who of reef research, turtle rehabilitation and marine education in Australia, Townsville is THE place to greet the reef.
- Magnetic Island Walking Tracks and see northern Australia’s largest colony of wild koalas on Magnetic Island
- Raging Thunder Adventures
- Learn all about conservation and research on the World Heritage Listed Great Barrier Reef at Reef HQ.
- Snorkel your way along the reef or go for the ultimate dive at the SS Yongala wreck.
- Sail your way around the Palm Islands group or bliss out in luxury on Orpheus Island.
- Naturally fascinating, travel really is the best education. Get the kids heads out of the books and into the great outdoors for a PhD in life.
- Develop your own bird-watching Wikipedia in the Tropics wetlands.
Once you’ve conquered Castle Hill and dived the Great Barrier Reef until you can’t flipper anymore...
- Go from beach to bush and spend your days cooling off under waterfalls and spotting kangaroos and platypus in Paluma Range National Park.
- Go panning through Charters Towers’ gold mining history.
- Take part in preparing a traditional Aboriginal kup mari feast at Mungalla Station.